August 31, 2009

Chocolate Mousse Cake

Chocolate Mousse Cake:
There are few things I have consumed that are better than the Chocolate Mousse Cake – but not many. That said, I’ve come to two conclusions:


1. This cake is an expression of love. Its the kind of cake one would bake for someone if they truly loved them.
2. Twilight’s Bella undoubtedly would have stayed human had she tasted this cake before Breaking Dawn.

It took me three days to finish the cake. I would recommend adding a fourth day and using Day 1 to shop for the ingredients, sit down with a glass of wine to read the instructions, and plan Days 2 – 4. The most important thing to keep in mind is to allow enough time. The rest is straightforward and the instructions are manageable. If the instructions are followed with some care, one will have an incredible cake worthy of any special occasion.
My notes on this cake include:

  • A funny little crust will form on the cakes when they bake. Put your freak-flag away – this is normal.
  • Be sure to remove both cakes from the pans when they are finished baking. I removed one at a time and spread the mousse on the bottom layer. When I removed the second layer, it broke and it was not so easy to hide this blemish.
  • I used chocolate chips for the chocolate and they were just fine.
  • I would not change a single ingredient. I loved every single flavor in this cake. All the flavors complemented each other to produce one very grown-up cake.
  • The cake is very rich – serve small slices.
  • Fresh raspberries are a nice addition and help to lighten the intense richness.
  • Serve with champagne or coffee.
  • You will be regarded as a super-hero if you show up with this cake.

1 comment:

  1. I love your notes! I agree that this cake would be delicious with coffee or a glass of champagne. It's also nice to hear that you took your time with the recipe. Sometimes it makes baking so much more enjoyable. Great Job! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

    LLbaker

    ReplyDelete