June 2, 2010

Fresh Starwberry Pie ~ Gluten Free


In March my daughter had to begin a Gluten Free diet. She's now feeling great, but it's been a learning process for mom. Just when I finally felt all grown up and confident in my baking skills, I feel like I'm starting over learning about rice flour, sweet rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, corn flour, almond flour, dry egg replacer, xantham gum...I could go on and on. We've been experimenting with a wide variety of recipes - some good, some not so. One of my saving graces has been the late Bette Hagman's "Gluten Free Gourmet" cookbook series. Not only are they quality recipes, there is variety and kid-friendly options. She offers good information on Gluten Free living as well. Seems everyone knows someone with special diet needs, so I thought I'd share with you a new recipe I tried.

This week we attempted something new - gluten free pie crust. And, I must say, it was a flaky success. I don't know about where you live, but the strawberries are perfect and abundant this year in Kansas. So we made fresh strawberry pie this morning - literally walked outside, picked the berries, and made a pie. Can't get any fresher than that. I followed the recipe listed below as written. One thing to note before beginning, the crust needs time allowed to chill. Since I'm impatient, I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and found it easy to work with. It's very light and airy, not like typical pie crust dough. It reminded me of icing made with shortening - that kind of bulk without the weight. The only change I would make, not suggested in the recipe, Is that it probably needs foil around the edges to keep from browning too much. The edges of the crust were nicely browned when the bottom of the crust was still a bit too soft. Otherwise, a great pie and crust!
Gluten Free Ricotta Pastry

1 1/2 c. white rice flour
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. xantham gum
1 c. melted margarine
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
1/2 c. sour cream (no substitutions)

Sift together the dry ingredients. Mix together the margarine, cheese, and sour cream. Stir in dry ingredients. Chill for at least 2 hours, or until dough is easy to handle. Roll out dough on a rice-floured plastic as it may be sticky. Using a second piece of plastic keeps it from sticking to the rolling pin. Transfer to your pie pan/plate and flute the edges. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Cool before filling.


Fresh Strawberry Pie Filling

1 qt. fresh strawberries
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
3 T. sugar

In a sauce pan, put 1 c. sliced berries, 1/2 c. sugar, salt, and 1/4 c. water. Bring to boil. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix cornstarch and remaining water. Add to sauce pan. Return to heat. Stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool. Mix into remaining fresh berries.

Mix cream cheese and sugar. Spread cream cheese mixture on the bottom of the cooked, cooled pie crust. Add berry mixture on top. Chill until firm. Approximately 7 servings.



1 comment:

  1. And I used the delicious strawberries you gave me from your garden to make fruit leather for our backpacking trip...also gluten free. Thanks for sharing strawberries!

    ReplyDelete