October 29, 2009

Apple Pie Cupcakes


It's a cool, rainy, fall day in Kansas today. Seems like perfect apple pie weather, so Jonathan and I decided to try the Apple Pie cupcakes. We followed the recipe with only minor variations. The batter seemed pretty simple and straight forward. When it came to making the "pie filing" we backed off some of the butter since there was already so much in the cake itself. I also added a small handful of fresh blueberries to add some color. And because apples and blueberries are a happy combination in my mouth. I only had two Granny Smiths on hand, but I do think a third would be ideal. When it came to assembling, I decided to use a small scoop of ice cream instead of the icing. I also think it would be great with whipped cream too - maybe with some pumpkin pie spice mixed in. As I cut out the cones a piece of my mother came out in me. It's a shame to not have a use for the cones. I suppose they could be worked into the final assembly/display some how. However, if the cupcakes were chocolate they could make very cute little witch's hats for Halloween. Which brings me to my final thought, the combination of ingredients for this cupcake idea seem endless.....strawberries & cream, pumpkin pie filling, fresh peaches, all chocolate, cream cheese filling with raspberries...

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love the idea of pumpkin spice and pumpkin pie filling. Well done, Laura & Jonathan. - Sarah

    ReplyDelete